Home Wiki Register to become a member Log in to the forum
  Having issues logging in? Try clearing your cache (CTRL + F5) and cookies. See this thread for more details.
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:21 am

Advanced search

Post subject: Maptool Fork Kickstarting on V-Day
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:32 am 
Site Admin

Mote

I'll probably toss a few dollars this way, since MT 2.0 seems to be on the super dooper back burner for the RPTools guys.

GM: Praetor
Link to House Rules: Click Me!

Post subject: Re: Maptool Fork Kickstarting on V-Day
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:00 pm 

Oh, thank God.

It's not that MT 2.0 is on the backburner. It's that apparently the only real coder on the project (trevor?) quit and the guys left in charge of Maptool are a bunch of clownshoes-wearers.

Maptool is a great program but it desperately needs performance tweaks and fixes. We're actually trying b90 now in the Numenera game, since some guy on the forum just got fed up and leaked it. Hoping it fixes some of the issues we've been having with b89.

It was bad enough that we went to try Roll20 but... it only took about thirty minutes on a Roll20 server with people randomly screwing around with the cards features and sliding my drawings around for me to say 'nope.'

I just hope that he isn't another Digitalxero a.k.a. DJ Gilcrease. That guy wasn't merely content to completely botch OpenRPG development with his "throw new builds up without testing them and let the players find all of the bugs" philosophy, but he also completely wrecked the codebase at TTW.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:47 am 
Site Admin

Oh DJ. I remember helping a bit on his ORPG+ fork in the way back (back around the game of yours with Ches 7 Fingers), and I even rewrote the hp & ac plugin so that you didn't have to close it and reopen it every time you wanted to change your stuff. Anyway, after it got mainlined, boom, no credit to arch.

Anyway, it seems like this might hopefully pan out to be what MT really needs to keep it competitive, even if its not MT per se.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/74 ... ref=banner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:26 pm 
Co-Owner

Looks very good so far - looks like its already pretty far into its first phase as an improved maptools and the videos show a lot that is already done. Improved GUI, improved macro work and help, better VBL. My worry is they might be getting ahead of themselves on the mapping

RPGCrafters Co-Owner

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." Salvor Hardin, Foundation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Please share around. 10 days left and they've got ~1000 to meet the goal.

Advanced search