Home Wiki Register to become a member Log in to the forum
  Having issues logging in? Try clearing your cache (CTRL + F5) and cookies. See this thread for more details.
Delete all board cookiesFAQThe team
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:53 am

Advanced search

Post subject: [Interest Check] Collaborative Design Excercise
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

How many folks, GM or Player alike, want to join together and do a collaborative world design exercise?

Ideas I have:
*Start with a blank landmass
*Design scale, terrain, and geographic features
*Design governments and major cities, and their placement
*Design adventure sites (fluff only, actual design can be a later exercise)
*Design history and religion for the region
*Design regional story arcs

In the end, this should give us a decently fleshed out region to hold adventures in, as well as working out our GM design muscles.

What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? The *BEST* idea?

GM: Praetor
Link to House Rules: Click Me!

Post subject: Re: [Interest Check] Collaborative Design Excercise
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:42 am 
Co-Owner

I'd be interested - I'm not much with mapping parts but when it comes to designing the rest of the stuff - geopolitical,regions and other things I have experience and enjoy it.

One thing to also consider is that if its for roleplaying we probably want to decide on what type of system it is for as that affects a lot of the base assumptions and abilities available in the world.

RPGCrafters Co-Owner

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." Salvor Hardin, Foundation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Well on a more abstract level, we can look at what sort of fantasy the world is. High, low, magitech, sci-fi, modern? The point of the exercise will be to spark creativity, rather than conform to a set of rules. If you want magically fueled lamps and lightning rails and laser guns all in the same world, trying to ham fist that into a ruleset is a detriment to the creative process.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:37 am 
Co-Owner

Arch sure - but it also effects how people interact with magic in the world and what sort of things are possible with that magic or technology. In my opinion the best settings in speculative fiction (sci fi and fantasy) are those that embrace the fact that they are working with some different assumptions and incorporate those assumptions into how the world and its people work. Its a failing I find in say a lot of dungeon and dragons settings which just put a medieval stamp not realizing how big a changer many of even the simplest magic spells are.

TLDR - Allowing the fantastical (either tech or magic) needs to be accounted for in base assumptions of the world and affects ways things are done and culture.

RPGCrafters Co-Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Right, I agree, but I don't think that we should say "This world operates under Pathfinder rules", since there are things like elemental binding (Eberron), magic rituals (4e), or talking space bears (GURPS) that we may want to include in the world that won't be compatible with a needless series of foregone restrictions. Simply stating this world is "High Magic" assumes that spellcasters power much of society, magic is prevalent, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:08 am 
Co-Owner

Sure but even the style of magic affects it. There can be and should be exemptions that remove or add on from the base rules if and when it fits but there's all sorts of assumptions high magic can lead too. To give an example using pathfinder

One of the most basic assumptions of a world changes because of Create Water. Villages no longer have to be on a fresh water source because the local cleric or druid can create the water the village needs thus opening up all sorts of different places and regions to settle. Thats at the very bottom of the spell list without even going to the high level stuff that more often breaks open a setting. Prestidigitation could influence the whole entertainment market as a simple spell that can do a better performing job then most performers and affects food seasoning and so forth.

I'm not saying we have to conform to the rules so much as having an agreed upon assumption makes much more sense as High Magic has been done in a lot of different ways over the years.

RPGCrafters Co-Owner

Advanced search